I’ve put together lists of teams and people working at the intersection of news publishing, data, visualization, and online/mobile/software development to get a better sense of who talks the talk and who walks the walk. There’s a strong UK presence, while some organizations are missing that you’d expect might want to show up.
This would deserve some analysis (anyone up to datamine Open Source Report Card?), maybe later.
1. Github repositories from news orgs
- FT Labs
- Bloomberg / Beta (not code, but smart marketing)
- Thomson Reuters Eikon
- WaPo (see an August 2013 speech on WP and how WaPo is starting to contribute to its community – incidentally Yuri Victor just left for Vox/Project X)
- NYT / Interactive News / Upshot
- LA Times
- Chicago Tribune | See also their Panda data repository for newsrooms
- Boston Globe
- Seattle Times
- Texas Tribune
- Dallas Morning News
- Bangor Daily News
- NPR / visuals team
- Knight Lab
- Times (UK – see Nieman Lab article)
- The Economist, WSJ are MIA on Github
More githubs from blogs/mags/web natives
- The Atlantic / Quartz (Chartbuilder’s many friends and the value of open source)
- Conde Nast
- Daily Beast
- Vox Media
- First Look (blog post)
- Business Insider
Outside of US/UK
- Le Monde
- Journalism++ (pan-European data journalism agency)
- I made a couple quick Google queries for major German and Spanish news orgs, didn’t find anything formally coming from organizations but I’m sure I must have missed individual contributors
I bet there’s more, please let me know and I’ll update this entry.
2. Twitter list focused on developers, product managers, data journalists, visualizers, and other people closely associated to the evolution of news through digital tools. (Update: I found out later about news-hackers and I should also mention Hacks & Hackers).
3. News APIs
- How open source technologies are transforming the BBC (e.g. ElasticSearch)
- Why develop in the newsroom in the first place?
- The future of open source 2014 survey
- What “open” really means for 538, Vox, and The Upshot
- Journalism in code – feed of code submitted by some of the orgs/people above
If you’re working at a publisher already involved in open source projects or seeking to leverage open source software, don’t hesitate to connect with me.